Sand flea bite

Hello, My family and I recently traveled to the Sleeping Bear Dunes. A few days later my children complained of bites, they were each bitten on an ankle. My husband took them to the doctor who believes they were bit by sand fleas. Is it possible that we brought them home with us too? There haven't been anymore bites but I would like to know if I need to take any extra precautions. Thanks!

Washtenaw County Michigan insect issues fleas nuisance insects

I cannot find a single reliable reference that suggests we have sand fleas in Michigan. The term "sand flea" is used to refer to small marine crustaceans found along the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts, or it refers to the burrowing flea Tunga penetrans. This flea is endogenous to Central and South America, sub-Sarahan Africa and portions of India; consequently, tungiasis is rarely reported in North America. Maybe you doctor is referring to something else.

I don't know what your children were bitten by but I'm guessing is wasn't by a sand flea. I would just keep an eye on them and don't worry about taking extra precautions.

Best regards, Howard