Are the studies on organic and conventional cattle honest?

It seems to me like the studies I have seen done by big agriculture have been missing the point.The biggest point is not cow health and milk yields...the main point is not pumping tons of pesticides and drugs into our environment and by extension our bodies. But I am not in the middle much of the motive and thought put behind them. I don't know if it is possible but I would like to see fair and balanced review of the long term impact on the land and us in the organic vs conventional comparison. Thank you.

Linn County Oregon

I observe that studies and reports for both conventional and organic production of food can either be well done or poorly done. I see many of both types. The way studies are done and reports are written can be misleading. There are many, many studies that are well done and thorough and are available in your local library or on-line.

The proper way to interpret them is to have a good understand the biology of plants and animals, the chemistry of products used (both conventional and organic sources are chemical in nature in that they have each are made up of molecules), and psychology of animal well-being. It also helps to understand statistical methods so you can make sure the studies are done properly.

Individuals need to study and make up their own mind what is good and what is not. Then get out and lobby and vote. Don't count on just anyone to convince you, do your own homework. If you are unable to do this, you need to try and find a trusted source of information that is unbiased (no agenda and nothing to gain or loose) to follow. Be careful of your source of information, you might be following an idiot.

I have studied the animals and plants and soil, air, and water for many years, both in nature and in the classroom. I believe that many conventional and organic production practices if done properly are not harmful. I also have seen both large and small agricultural operations do a fine job. Size doesn't always mean good or bad. Pumping tons of pesticides and drugs into the environment is wrong, but the agricultural producers I work with (large or small, conventional or organic) do not do this. It is bad and they know it. Besides, it is too expensive!

Thanks for the question. I hope I have given you a different perspective and some things to think about.

Shelby