CLUSTERS BUT NO GRAPES

This year my 3 year old Concord grape vines had many clusters. I thought we would have a great year. The result was almost no grapes. What could have happened?

Sullivan County New York viticulture

Hard to say without more information. Did the grapes make it through bloom and set fruit? Did it shrivel up and turn black during the season sometime? Or did the young clusters simply shrivel up before they set fruit.

The most common homeowner problem with grapes is black rot, which makes the berries rot and shrivel into little black and hard 'raisins' that adhere to the rachis (stems of the cluster). There will also be spots on the foliage for leaf infections.

If this sounds familiar, then black rot is your problem. If not, some additional information about the nature of your problem. Attached photos show black rot on clusters and leaf lesions.

Let me know if this is the case. Good luck.