Where golden canker is on dogwood trees. Can they be pruned in fall say mid...

Where golden canker is on dogwood trees. Can they be pruned in fall say mid Oct. I have read that a good time is in Feb or March but I am away on winter vacation and will not be here at that time. And should the branch being cut be sterilized. Thanks

Outside United States

Dear Gardener,

If you cannot prune during dormancy, you should do it now. Be sure to sterilize your tools after each and every cut. Use a solution of one-part chlorine bleach in 10 parts water. Wrap and destroy all infected parts of the plant.

This article gives good instructions on how to prune in the section on Management: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/golden-canker-of-pagoda-dogwood/

Thanks for the advise. But I have done some pruning and have sterilized the pruner after pruning each tree. I was unaware that sterilizing after each cut was necessary. Is there something else i could do now.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Just keep a close eye on the tree. If you see signs of the canker, prune again.

It may seem overly cautious, but sterilizing after each cut will reduce the chances of spreading the disease. You want each cut to be clean and free of any pathogen.

Have a nice vacation, and good luck with your dogwood!