Paperbark Maple (Acer griseum)

I read a article by Jill Hoduck(I think that is the correct spelling) about the Paperbark Maple. I would like to know what is the best way, for example: time of year, from clipping, in a container or the actual spot in the yard...etc, to propagate this tree. Everything that I read says it is hard to propagate Paperbark Maple. So, I would like to have an expert opinion on how to grow one.

Fairfield County Ohio master gardener program maple trees paperbark maple

Propagation is very difficult due to poor seed quality. seeds are often void as is with many trifoliate maples, fruits collected and recorded in the Dirr Manual of Woody Ornamental book sited between only 1 and 8 percent viable seeds. you will need to stratify or freeze the seeds for 90 days and then plant in 40 degree moistened peat. However the fruit wall is so tough that the root cannot penetrate and will simple girdle around the embryo. For much more detail on starting the paperbark maple from seed I suggest you take a look at the Michael Dirr " Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" for propogation techniques.