The roots on one side of the tree were severed when we dug the foundation for...

The roots on one side of the tree were severed when we dug the foundation for the cabin. I can not get my arms around the tree. I do not know what kind of tree it is. The foundation was dug on Sept 2. The soil will be replaced by the end of this week. Will the roots regenerate? The roots are not very thick. Some are shallow, most of them are uniform in thickness. Do I need to be concerned about the roots getting into the drainage tile? I have not counted all the roots. There a lots of them. Thank you

Chisago County Minnesota

How close is the tree to the cabin? If only some of the roots at the ends were cut the tree will be ok. If they are major roots then maybe not but if the tree is that close to the cabin then the problem will be the roots with the foundation and the danger of limbs falling on the cabin if they are hanging over the roof. It really might be a good idea to have a certified arborist take a look at the situation and evaluate the damage or the potential damage and make a suggestion. It isn't good that the roots of the tree have been uncovered for a fairly long time either. Here is a link to finding a certified arborist in your area. It is important to get someone that is certified. http://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx