I have a variety of the Minnesota Azalea Tree. It is currently in a large...

I have a variety of the Minnesota Azalea Tree. It is currently in a large pot. I brought it inside when there a was a threat of frost. Can I take it outside now and protect it with hay. (if I can how deep do I bury it). Or can I leave it in my unheated basement. The average temp in the basement is in the 60 to 65. FYI we live within a mile of Lake Superior.

Lake County Minnesota shrubs

I've not heard of of a "Minnesota Azelaea Tree: Where did you buy this plant, and when did you buy it?

Azaleas are perennial plants and if the one you bought is listed as "Minnesota hardy" it should be able to make it through our winters outdoors. It should be planted in in the ground where you want it to grow. It's not too late to plant this bush, but your should make sure that you prepare the new planting site properly:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/planting-and-transplanting-trees-and-sh...

If the plant that your purchased is listed as a
Zone 5-6 or higher plant, then you must take some additional precautions. Please contact us again if you think that the plant that you have isn't suitable for our growing zone.