I have many healthy plants, Monkey Grass/Liriope growing around my yard. I am...

I have many healthy plants, Monkey Grass/Liriope growing around my yard. I am wondering when I can trim them down. I read it was February, but last Feb. my yard was covering with ice! Can I trim back my plants this Fall rather than waiting til Spring? Last year, since I did not trim them, and with all of the ice/snow, it was a mess in the Spring. Thank you.

Baltimore County Maryland groundcovers liriope

Liriope does not require trimming for its health usually, but it does give it a more tidy appearance. Most people trim in early spring (March is a good month for pruning/trimming) because the plant keeps its color for much of the winter. Then in spring remove the old foliage to make way for the new, which comes up soon.

If you want to trim sooner,you might want to wait until the weather has at least gotten good and cold (we've had some hard freezes/frosts) so that the plants can use their green foliage to produce carbohydrates for as long as they can. In other words, trim when the leaves start to brown or look bad.