Prevent Hornets from Nesting Behind Retention Wall

I have a semi-circular retention wall around my fire pit. The retention wall is made of pavers stacked 5 high with a 'cap' stone on the top. For the last couple years I've had hornets that have built nests behind the stones. I have had to dismantle portions of the wall to destroy the nests. One nest was as big as a soccer ball. Now that I have my wall dismantled, I'd like to do something to prevent the nesting before I put up the wall again. what would you suggest I do to keep hornets from nesting behind the wall (in the dirt)? Also, in order to secure the wall, I wanted to use liquid nails on the stones to keep them in place (unlike the original construction). however, if i do that, I won't be able to dismantle a portion if a new nest appears. I want to be able to have more of a permanent structure but that means I have to be able to prevent the hornets. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Utah County Utah hornets

The easiest way to prevent them from returning would be to put a barrier behind the stones that the hornets can't penetrate. A material like landscaping cloth or other type of barrier installed behind the wall would keep the hornets from digging into the area.