Does this pickled roasted pepper recipe seem acidic enough?

Last year I made the best pickled roasted pickled peppers but I didn't process it and only kept it in the fridge so I wouldn't have worried as much about the acidity level. This year I want to process them and keep them in the pantry. Does this seem acidic enough? I can't find my notes on what were the best pickled roasted peppers ever. I think I've found the right recipe but I am concerned about the acidity level this year since I want to process them for pantry storage. The recipe doesn't seem to call for much vinegar and the peppers are releasing a fair bit of liquid after roasting and peeling. My questions are: -Does this seem like enough vinegar? (I'm not sure the wine lowers the pH.) -Should I drain the peppers of the liquid? (I kind of hate to loose the flavor in the liquid.) The authors seem to have solid qualifications and the other recipes I've made have been in line with USDA guidelines. Thanks! From The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp & Margaret Howard 6-8 small sweet red peppers (about 2#) 1 clove garlic 1/2 cup dry white wine 1/2 cup white vinegar 1/4 cup cider vinegar 1/2 chopped onion 2 T sugar 1/2 T dried oregano 1 t pickling salt Roast the peppers and garlic. Put the peppers in a bag and remove the skin and seeds and stem when cool. Cut into 1 in strips. Remove the skin from the garlic and mash. Combine wine, vinegars, onion, garlic, sugar, oregano and salt in a saucepan. Boil gently for 5 minutes. Pack peppers into hot half-pint jars to within 3/4 inch of the top. Pout boiling vinegar mixture to within 1/2 inch of top. Seal and process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Clackamas County Oregon

I have not seen a reliable source for a recipe for roasted pickled peppers. When you roast them you change the density of the product. I agree that the recipe does not have a lot of vinegar but also the measurement of the peppers is rather subjective. How big is a small pepper and 1/2 of an onion. I realize that this is a small batch but weight or cups are a better estimate of quantity of the low acid foods. .Not sure what the pH of dry wine is so there are too many variables for me to recommend processing them and be sure they would be safe. .

You might want to take a tested recipe from the USDA website or from our OSU website http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/food-preservation and look at PNW 355 Pickling Vegetables. There is a hot pepper recipe on page 16. You could use sweet peppers (measure quantity first) and could roast them. If you want to substitute wine for the water that would be ok. At least you have some weights and measures for this recipe. You could reduce the size of the recipe for a smaller batch. If you roast them be sure not to pack them too tightly into the jars. Look at the estimate number of jars indicated for the recipe and make sure you are close. The peppers need to absorb the vinegar liquid in order to pickle and this won't happen if it is packed to dense.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I'd already made a batch and then started worrying about the acidity. I'd hate to throw them all out but obvious they aren't worth getting sick over. I think I'll put most of them in the freezer since I wouldn't be eating them out of hand and just using them in other recipes. Do you think it's safe to just keep these in the fridge, though?

Thank you!

Kate

You will be fine keeping them in the refrigerator. It is when they are in an anaerobic (no oxygen) environment at room temperature that botulism is a problem. In the refrigerator they are not vacuum sealed and it is cold so you should be ok and they will last quite a while.

Good luck.

Nellie Oehaler