Homemade Laundry Soap

Some colleagues teach money saving homemde laundry soap recipes for limited income audiences because laundry detergent can be expensive for large families. It consists of 1 bar of ivory soap, 1/2 cup washing soda, 1/2 cup borax power and water. I have called several washing machine companies and no one is on board who can answer my question. I would assume this product would not be good for a washer designed specifically for (he) high efficiency detergents........... but would it be harmless on washers that aren't designed for he detergents? Thanks so much for your help! Barbara Hughes

Seminole County Florida

Hello!

I have taught these classes as well and some participants were already using this, however, they did not say if they were using the liquid version as a high efficiency detergent. I also have not found any information in this regard. There is a powder version using 1 bar of shaved soap, 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of washing soda that is a low suds formula using 2 Tablespoons per load of laundry. However, if you have a septic system, it is advised that you not use it as any powder detergent can cake and clog the system.

I hope this helps.

Connie

I appreciate your time and expertise Connie. I had not heard of the all powder reciepe but that seems like it would be a MUCH easier recipe. Thanks again for your help! Barbara