a difficult problem with mice in home

Hi--and thank you for this service! I noticed the first signs of mice in my home 10 days ago (Sept. 29) and have tried everything, starting with humane traps and working my way up to snap traps baited with D-con and peanut butter. Nothing works. I saw two this morning. I have cleaned wildly everywhere, used duct tape and steel wool and Scotch pads in cracks, and the mice are chewing through everything in my cupboards and nesting in my clothes. I have a dog, so am worried about the D-con and the traps, as well as disease and fleas. Is there any other kind of poison or solution or exterminator you can recommend? I am desperate (and broke--so far I have spent close to $100 on ridding implements).

New Castle County Delaware rodents household pests mice mouse

We forwarded your question to Chair of the Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology and here is his response:

My advice to them is to seek the assistance of a certified pest control operator. It sounds like they have done all they standard things to remove the rodents so professional assistance is needed.

Thanks so much for using Ask an Expert and good luck getting your problem solved!

Sincerely,
Adam Thomas