Hi, I have a question that has been bugging me So I have my associates degree...

Asked October 8, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT

Hi, I have a question that has been bugging me So I have my associates degree from the Bel Rea Institute of Animal Technology. I originally went there because I thought I wanted to be a Veterinary Technician. However, I decided that I wanted to do more field work as far as science goes, studying animals and inn particular wildlife instead. I also want to do more work that contributes to society and to make our environment better. I had another interest in becoming a Marine Biologist because the ocean is vast and there is a lot to do within it. I thought well what about being a Marine Mammal trainer? Working with marine life? It's confusing to me, I feel torn over what I want to do whether I want to work in the sea or on land. I think I want to do both but would that be zoology then? What about taking a degree course online or is it better to go in person and apply to a community college or something? I'm just not sure.. I live in Abingdon and I can't apply for the harford community college program because the deadline was back in September for next year I think. I have an interest in wolves and canines. Wild canines are interesting but, so is everthing and foraging is of interest as well... I'm a substitute teacher as of right now and I have a business called Cartoon My Dog, I figured that my illustration could go hand in hand with whatever wildlife career I choose to follow but how do you decide between land and water? At one point I imagined it might be a good idea to be a wildlife trapper but I feel uncomfortable with the idea of shooting an animal and gassing them to death. As a Veterinary Technician you usually work with small animals, mostly cats and dogs. This really isn't my line of work, I want to be working with the wildlife. I don't like being beneath people as a tech, cleaning all the time and just cleaning up all kinds of nastiness... I want to be going out into nature, doing studies of our water, identifying plants, and studying a select group of wolves or foxes, draw them, study their behavior. Anyway, my question is loaded and I have multiple. What do you suggest? Thank you so much. my website is www.cartoonmydog.com

Baltimore County Maryland

1 Response

You have outlined several things and it seems the common thread is wildlife of some kind either aquatic or terrestrial. Also it seems that the type of work you have described would require some type of specific training that may include a Bachelors degree or graduate study... depending on the level of research your decide upon.

For the study of wolves you may need to explore places in the west such as Wyoming or Montana since there are limited areas that have wolves in the wild.

With the topics you outlined, I suggest you consider contacting the National Aquarium in Baltimore (http://www.aqua.org/jobs ) or contacting the state office of the Department of Natural Resources in Annapolis at the contact below ...

  • Email: customerservice.dnr@maryland.gov
  • Telephone: Call toll-free in Maryland at 1-877-620-8DNR (8367) (Weekdays 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.)
  • By US Mail:
    Maryland Department of Natural Resources
    580 Taylor Avenue
    Tawes State Office Building
    Annapolis, MD 21401