What is a good shade grass for sandy soil just south of San Antonio.

Dense shaded yard. Sand. Would like to plant seed. Otherwise what type of pallet grass would you recommend? Several grass farms in the area ($$$?). Small area 30x 30 where a septic line was replaced.

Atascosa County Texas

This is a good question with a difficult answer. Being that it is an area that has dense shade this will be a challenge for any grass that you decide to plant. As a general rule our st. augustine grass is one of our most shade tolerant grasses but it does not do just great either. If i was going to try one in shade I would get floratam st. augustine. You still may need to make sure that it receives some sun even if it is just minimal.

Hope this is helpfull

Dale Rankin

Thanks Dale, I think I better go something low maintenance. It's for a rent house. What about a ground cover instead? How do I unmark my question from being private? Upload for images is not working.

Thank You.

Growing in an area with a lot of shade I would look at English Ivy or Liriope's Monkey grass also does well in shade but it can be very aggressive.

Thank You!!

Got some images to come through.