There is an old Maple tree in my big yard (est. the trunk to be 2.5-3' wide)...

There is an old Maple tree in my big yard (est. the trunk to be 2.5-3' wide) and the roots are popping out of the ground in a half dozen locations. Either they are sticking out higher, or my ground is sinking. So far no injuries but I can foresee this being an issue... Can I burry them with more dirt? Cut them out? I don’t want to hurt the tree, it is a beautiful part of the landscape and really old given its size. Just FYI, I live in Eden Prairie/MN maybe 50 feet away from a small lake - if that makes a diff. Thanks in advance for any suggestions in advance!

Hennepin County Minnesota

What is happening is perfectly natural for a maple. No, do not put more dirt on them to cover and do not cut them out. If you must you could put some soil outside of the roots to help bring the surface of the soil a little closer to the root heights. I also have these roots in my lawn and they are just a part of the landscape.