Hello, I submitted a question last week and never received a response. I...

Hello, I submitted a question last week and never received a response. I thought I'd try again. I have purchased a new home that has several identical rose bushes surrounding it, and I'm wondering if you can provide me with any kind of information about what type of roses they are and how to best care for them. I'm especially interested in knowing whether or not they need to be covered during the winter months and when to dead head and remove hips. Thanks!

Story County Iowa trees and shrubs roses horticulture flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials

The rose in the photograph appears to be some type of modern rose. (There are several hundred different roses. The exact type cannot be determined.) Most modern roses require protection during the winter months. Low temperatures and rapid temperature changes in winter can severely injure and sometimes kill unprotected modern roses. (Most old garden roses possess excellent cold hardiness and don’t require winter protection.) Hilling or mounding soil over the base of each plant is an excellent way to protect modern roses. Begin by removing fallen leaves and other debris from around each plant. Removal of diseased plant debris will help reduce disease problems next season. Then, loosely tie the canes together with twine to prevent the canes from being whipped by strong winds. Next, cover the bottom 10 to 12 inches of the rose canes with soil. Place additional material, such as straw or leaves, over the mound of soil. A small amount of soil placed over the straw or leaves should hold these materials in place. Remove the soil in early April. After removing the soil, prune out any dead wood. Live wood is green and possesses plump, healthy buds. Dead wood is light to dark brown in color. When pruning, make the cuts about 1 inch below the dead, brown-colored sections. Remove the entire cane if there is no sign of life. Additional information on caring for roses in Iowa can be found at the following website. https://store.extension.iastate.edu/Product/rg310-pdf