Tree Question

Hi I have a question about one of my trees. I live near Fort Worth (in Tarrant County). I have a tree that is about 7-8 years old. I believe it is a Bradford Pear. It appears to be slightly leaning to one side. The main root on the opposite side seems to be raising above ground. Also the base of the tree appears rather dark. It may be that the soil has eroded over time. I am wondering whether I should add more soil around the tree or take any other action. Thanks for any help you can provide. Thanks Jim Williamson PS Please let me know if you need any additional images.

Texas trees and shrubs horticulture

Its hard to give a definitive answer from the pictures you sent? has it just started leaning or has it just become more noticeable for a reason? It looks to be kind of wet, is that normal? Often branches will rise like that if the soil is not great or from overwatering? I cant see any of the canopy so I cant tell if there is any stress going on in the tree? I would not recommend covering the base with soil, if anything I would add a couple of inches of a good quality mulch to cover the bare areas. Be sure and keep it a few inches from the trunk.

Hi Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. It seems like it has just recently started leaning to the point where the root has become visible. I agree it appears wet in the image but was quite dry. It hasn't rained in a couple of weeks and I water in the early hours (image was taken at about 2pm). The biggest question I had was whether I should add soil. I'll add some mulch as you suggested then. Thanks again for the answer!

Your very welcome. Keep an eye on it, it shouldn't get any worse. A tree like that shouldn't need watering more then once or twice a month and now that it is cooling down once a month is plenty. The mulch will hide the bare areas as well as hold moisture in! Enjoy the fall!!