Japanese Cedar

We have a Japanese Cedar in our backyard. The closest I have got to identifying it would be kan Sugi although it does not really display light yellow new growth. It was planted very close to a wall and I think the placement was poor. It is approx. 2-3 feet from the wall, about 12 feet tall and the trunk is about 4-5 inches thick. My question is: do you think a tree this size could be successfully transplanted? I have a potential home for it with friends but I would want to make sure it is properly transplanted. Thanks!

Multnomah County Oregon trees and shrubs urban forestry horticulture

I agree, it is not a good plant placement. Yes, it is still a reasonable size to be a candidate for transplanting. You must take a lot of care with it. If you choose to do this yourself, I suggest doing it during the rainy season. Did a large of a root ball as you can possibly dig. Another option would be to hire a tree service company that has a "tree spade" and have them do it if it is worth the expense.

Hope that helps.