i found a weed next to my butterfly bush. I think the stem is a monocot, that...

i found a weed next to my butterfly bush. I think the stem is a monocot, that is, similiar to a corn stalk? The plant stood about 4 feet high. At the crown was covered with barly shaped and colored berries. Can you tell me what it is? I couldnt find anything that looked like it on the web. thanks.

Montgomery County Maryland

That sounds and looks like a type of sorghum. It is a monocot, grows like corn, then produces a plume of grains. Some types are grown for food, and likely this came from a bird seed mix. Is there a feeder nearby? Some varieties of commercial birdseed include it in their mix- and here it would be called 'milo'. Most songbirds do not prefer this type of seed, and it ends up not being eaten, but it is often included to bulk up the bag.