Cherry Saplings

I had a cherry tree that started growing last year we did not do anything in hopes that it would continue to grow, but this year I saw that it was not one but two trees. Is there any way to seperate themm without harming either one or is it best to cut the smaller of the two. They grew from cherrys that had been given to us a while back to scater and see if they would grow.

Tennessee trees and shrubs pruning fruit trees cherry trees horticulture

You do not say whether you think both trunks are from the same seed. If you think they are separate trees you can separate in late winter after all the leaves have fallen off but before growth begins in the spring. You can then replant both trees. It is important that you do this as early as possible to allow good root growth to start before the leaves come out and start to demand a lot of water from the root system. I would try to keep them both as you will need pollen of a different cherry variety to set fruit in sweet cherries.
Since these are seedlings I would leave them to get together and treat as one tree with multiple trunks assuring good pollination if the pollen is not sterile between the two trees.