I am asking on behalf of my friend in MC. I believe this is a weeping cherry...

I am asking on behalf of my friend in MC. I believe this is a weeping cherry tree in the garden of the house she recently purchased. It is a mature tree, maybe 15 ft tall, in a wooded area. It is bleeding sap. Is there anything that needs to be done for the tree? Is it dying? Sorry I couldn't include any more info. I have a photo of the entire tree that I can send in followup email. Thanks!!

Montgomery County Maryland trees and shrubs sap gummosis weeping cherry trees

The presence of gum or sap on cherry trees can be a natural response to defend wounds on the tree caused by bark cracks, insect feeding, mower injury, or disease. This is the tree's natural response to a source of stress.

Boring insects, which are the larval stage of moths, are common on cherries, as are canker diseases. There is unfortunately not much to be done for them. No chemical control is recommended. See our publication on ornamental fruit trees http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG93_IPM_Series_Orna...
At this point, prune out any dead branches, rake fallen leaves to prevent any overwintering fungal spores, and water the tree during dry periods to maintain vigor. Make sure mulch is no thicker than two inches and keep away form the base of the trunk. Monitor the tree for additional symptoms.