Found Concord grape vine on property

Hello...we are about to clear overgrown portion of yard on Cape Cod and found a Concord grape vine! I'm very excited about this but how do I go about saving/ pruning it? Found only a few grapes on it and have never smelled it so I'm thinking it's not producing. It's very large and I'd love to save it....any ideas? Thank you for any help!

Barnstable County Massachusetts grapes viticulture horticulture

Hi,

There are several species of wild grapes as well as some domestic ones that escaped cultivation in New England. To find out which one you have, you could check the website go botany. Typically grapes need full sun and to be pruned to produce well. If you are planning to leave the vine in place, think about some type of arbor or other structure that it can climb or be tied to. I would prune it back to 6 to 8 feet and tie it to something. If it is a Concord which is a selection from the fox grape, Vitis lambrusca, the soil pH should be around 5.0 to 5.5 and you should fertilize the plant in the spring. If you are interested in high production, you should check out some of the grape pruning guides - just google pruning grapes. If the grape vine is not where you want it, you can take cuttings next spring and root them. The older plants have extensive root systems and are not easy to dig up. The plants live for a long time - reputedly the original Concord grape that was discovered over 100 years ago is still alive.

If you have more questions, call us at (860) 486-6271.