Hi. I have a magnolia shrub / tree that I planted 4 years ago. It's about 8ft...

Hi. I have a magnolia shrub / tree that I planted 4 years ago. It's about 8ft tall now. This summer, I have had my new growth curl. I can't see a fungus on the leaves that can be wiped off, or washed off. Only in the last few days have these curled leaves started getting brown in the area that they have curled. My neighbor has had similar curl on his hydrangea, peach & redbud. I do not see this on any of my other trees or shrubs. My neighbor has just used some random fungicide that he has at home. But it comes back. I would rather get rid of it, and know what I am treating for. Could you please let me know what I need to treat with, how long. And is there anything I need to do so that this doesn't spread to other trees & shrubs.

St. Mary's County Maryland

The problem with your magnolia is environmental in nature. It is not insect or disease related. Magnolias have a shallow root system and when their leaves are emerging they can be sensitive to too much moisture or heat (hot & dry) weather conditions and can exhibit a leaf curl. No chemical controls are recommended. All you can do is keep the tree watered during dry periods. Make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and keep away from the trunk. The other plants you mentioned can be sensitive to environmental conditions as well.