Growing Hybrid Chestnut Trees in the Lufkin TX Area

I would like to attract more deer to my property and have been reading which nut trees are best for that purpose. I found that the Burr Oak is a good oak trees for its quality and size of acorn but pails in comparison to the Chestnut tree. I also understand that when the Chinese Chestnut was brought into this county that they also brought in a blight that decimated the American Chestnut tree. I also found that there have been some success in creating hybrid Chestnut trees by crossing the American with the Chinese variety to create a tree that is not as susceptible to the disease.

So my question is will a Chestnut tree grow specifically in Polk county Texas and if so where would I be able to purchase some of these trees. Second question, I am also planting pecans, and hickory trees for wildlife, is there other trees I should considered. I have a bottom land (clay) as well as sandy loam soil.

Thanks for your advice

Polk County Texas trees and shrubs wildlife habitat

As you have read, the blight which killed off the chestnut trees has been quite detrimental. I would suggest you read this http://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=12316 for more information.

But to get something to grow to attract deer, you have several other viable options. I can't seem to attach an old article that puts the most sought after plants in a simple table. But Google Deer Range Appraisal for East Texas Forests
and download the first PDF file . See page 3.