Possible Shothole Beetle infestation

Hello! I was directed here as I'm currently experiencing a problem with a big (I think) walnut tree in my back yard. I Recently cut down a dead tree on the side of my house (we just moved in a few months back) and found a black beetle living in it. I did some research and I think it might be a Shothole beetle. After using google street view I noticed my neighbors tree probably had the same infestation before being removed (it's not there since before we moved in). I've attached a picture of the neighbors tree, as well as an imgur album with a few pictures including one of the beetle. I'm hoping I can get some information as to what I can do to save my big tree and get rid of this issue! Thank you in advance. http://imgur.com/a/LXyLQ Feel free to contact me via cell phone: 631-767-4253

New Castle County Delaware trees and shrubs insects pests walnut trees beetle shothole beetle

Thanks for your question. We will get back to you shortly.

here are pictures. I'm starting to notice that some of the branches of the tree look like they are dying. attached is a picture of the beetle form the tree I did cut down. The bark and branches are from the big tree we have in our backyard.

Afternoon,

Thanks for the pictures, they help most of the time. You are definitely seeing dieback in the trees and they are infested with looks to be one of the bark beetles; however which one is more difficult. I will need to know what type of tree it is to be more specific in identifying the beetle. There are a variety of bark beetles in our area and many are quite common especially in the early spring and late summer. If it all possible, we would need to see a branch that has been infested with the beetles and a sample of the beetles. It is better if we can see a plant sample that has had the beetles in it is because of a new invasive beetle that attacks walnuts and vectors a disease. Bark beetles are too small to identify from a standard photo from most digital SLR or phone cameras. The damaged wood is very diagnostic in identifying the disease. The sample should be dropped off at the Wyoming Road extension office as soon as convenient. Shothole borers attack stressed and dying trees. Our climate for the past couple summers and winters has been stressful for many of the trees which has made them susceptible to a variety of problems.