I am starting a farm and would like to know what form I need to fill out so I...

I am starting a farm and would like to know what form I need to fill out so I can get a tax exempt number.

I will make the general statement that your social security is your farms tax identification number unless you are operating as an LLC, LLP, or Corp. S or C in that case you would have requested a Tax Identification Number during the registration of that operating entity. As for tax exempt status I will first state that a farm is not tax exempt for any federal or state income taxes. If your question is directed toward being tax exempt related to sales tax charged for the purchase of items that will be used in your farming operation for the production of commodities. Then again your social security is your farms businesses tax number. I have attached a suggested form that is used in Michigan for farm operators that are doing business with a retail firm for the first time and requests that the farm provide documentation that they are qualified to be tax exempt. It is important that you also review the rules as to what types of items are tax exempt. This response is based on the sales tax rules for Michigan and your situation maybe different in other states.