Millipedes. I have hundreds of them in the last two days. Crawling across the...

Millipedes. I have hundreds of them in the last two days. Crawling across the driveway, sidewalk and on siding. I have never had so many. We have not had an abundance of rain here and it is not wet in our fields. Are they mating or migrating? How long will they survive without moisture or dampness in my home? Any spray that will work around doors or foundations? Thank You.

Licking County Ohio

With the changes in the seasons coming on, arthropods such as the millipedes begin altering their behaviors. It is not uncommon to have major population migrations at this time of the year as well as in the spring. Changes in available water, either too much or too little can trigger these migrations. There are both non-chemical and chemical management options. The fact sheet from the University of Minnesota that deals with millipedes, sowbugs and centipedes does a nice job laying out both options and describes the habitats in which large populations of millipedes can develop. Click on the following link to read their fact sheet: