Unknown pest

Have an odd question that hopefully you can point me in the direction of a identification, although it may be difficult. In my back yard in Swoyersville, Luzerne County, I came across a unknown pest. It hops like a flea and bites skin when in contact with humans. They are small, black and resemble a flea, however I think it may be a little too large to be a flea. The area where I found them is on a rock patio, near a grill. They "hop" rather than crawl, etc. Yesterday I preformed some remediation steps with pesticides, and noticed what looks like larva on the stones in the questionable area. The larva looks tan, with the resemblance of vermin droppings. Flea? or any other ideas? Thank you! -Jonathan

Luzerne County Pennsylvania master gardener program garden pests

Hello and thanks for using the Ask an Expert System.

I am sorry, but I cannot identify the insect that you have described. I suggest that you take a sample of the insect to the Luzerne County Penn State Extension Office for identification.

Luzerne County Penn State Extension Office
Address: 16 Luzerne Avenue, Suite 200, West Pittston, PA 18643-2817
Phone: 570-825-1701
E-mail: LuzerneExt@psu.edu
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

For additional information you can call the Luzerne County, Penn State Master Gardener Hotline on at (570) 602-0622.