I am so thankful for your service! While I am not a wildly successful...

I am so thankful for your service! While I am not a wildly successful gardener, this year seems to be particularly fatal for my plants. I hope you can help. First, I have an ~8in peony I planted this year (early summer or when it was cool) that now looks like this (see attachment). I don't know if I need to give it more water or less. Or if it needs some sort of food. I gave it Biostarter and amended the soil with LeafGro when I planted it. Now it has yellowish veins and is just not thriving. None of the plants I have put in this new area in my yard are thriving except the liriope and the heuchera. More questions to come! Thanks,

Howard County Maryland flowers overwatering peonies

Since you asked about watering: This was an abnormally cool summer and we had quite a bit of rainfall. Plants generally like about 1" of rainfall a week. They like the soil about as wet as a wrung-out sponge. We recommend that everyone have a rain gauge so they can judge how much moisture their plants are really getting--with spotty thunderstorms you have no idea otherwise.
So, water when we haven't had rain or feel the soil by sticking you finger or a tool into the soil. If the top 1/2" to 1" of soil is dry, then water.

Many plants are killed by overwatering as well as under-watering.

We can't tell from the photo, but also keep mulch off of plants. It should never be piled on the base of plants, including trees and shrubs, and kept to about 1-2" in depth.