Feeding Pigs Table Scraps

I just got a couple of pigs for my hobby farm last week. I have seen conflicting information on feeding pigs table scraps. Are there laws pertaining to feeding pigs table scraps and if so can you sum them up for me? Thanks, Josh

Chester County Pennsylvania pigs

There can be several layers in an answer to your question. I will try to sum up the basics:

• Feeding table scraps to swine is legal and can provide some good nutrition.
  • The main criteria to follow is that any animal byproducts should be fully cooked. The Federal Swine Health Act (as well as state law) prohibit this.
  • There seems to be no conflict with PA Commercial Feed Law with this.
  • If you are feeding more than just food from your own table, for instance receiving human food delivery than other laws come into play that are more restrictive
If you have questions concerning any of this or need further clarification please contact Erin Bubb at the PA Department of Agriculture. She is very knowledgable and helpful. i would consider her an authority on your question. Her number is (717) 772-5215. Her email is ebubb@state.pa.us

Here is an article from Florida on feeding table scraps to swine that you may find helpful.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/an143

Please feel free to contact me directly as well. Thank you.