Hi! I was at the lake yesterday, in Madison, and spotted this bird sitting on...

Hi! I was at the lake yesterday, in Madison, and spotted this bird sitting on the rocks. It was a large bird and stayed in this position, just moving its head. I have been searching all morning and can't figure out what it is. I am hoping that you can help. Sincerely, Heather Staffiera

Lake County Ohio birds ornithology

Hi Heather!
I was watching a few of these birds just last week in a golf course pond in Central Ohio! This would be a double-crested cormorant. They are migrating right now south through Ohio, and stopping over to rest when there is adequate water and food (hence the golf course pond I spotted them in). They spend the summer up north and the winter down south, so we see them coming through in the spring and fall. Here is a bit more info on them if you are curious: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Double-crested_Cormorant/id. If you look at the photos, you'll notice that they are a solid black bird, unlike the picture you sent. This is a juvenile, likely a first year, and has yet to get his/her full adult plumage.
Happy Birding!
Marne