lettuce and apples

Hi there! I live in Lackawanna County,PA. We've had a fairly small garden for a few years, but would like to get more out of it. How late can lettuce be planted since? Also, I would love to have apple trees, but am unsure of how to plant and what types would be most successful in our climate. Our favorites are Fuji and Golden delicious. but I'm not sure if they are suited to our climate? I did read your info on apple trees which was wonderful (: Do yo have any recommendations? Thank yo!! Bridgette Cannella

Lackawanna County Pennsylvania fruits and vegetables master gardener program fruit trees lettuce

As we are getting on towards fall, you are reaching the outer limit for planting. However, lettuce is half hardy so if you plant now (early Sept.) there is a good chance you can get a crop before the first frost.

Apple varieties that can be grown in Pennsylvania include the Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Gala, Fuji, Jonagold and Braeburn apples.