Worms in my Raspberries

I am finding 1/4" white tiny worms in many of my raspberries. I have started picking them as they start to ripen in hopes that the worms will not be a problem when they are ripe. I don't know how they have been infested. Do you know what what is causing this? Is it due to our weather this season? If it's cultural, is there anything I can do to prevent this another season. I have been throwing overripe berries with worms on the ground. Is this ok or is this a bad practice. I have Fall Gold growing next to my red berries and it doesn't seem that the worms are a problem with them. Will freezing the berries kill the worms and make them edible? If I eat fresh berries and happen to get a worm, can they cause problems?

Pennington County South Dakota food safety insect issues insect management raspberries horticulture

Thank you for your question about your raspberries.

This sounds like spotted wing drosophila, which is a new pest to South Dakota.

UMN has some great info for management in home gardens:http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/spotted-wing-drosophila-in-home-gardens/