I have several peony and old fashioned lilac plants. All have been hit by...

I have several peony and old fashioned lilac plants. All have been hit by some sort of fungal disease. The leaves turn brown and die very quickly. It started with my peonies and has spread to my lilacs. Spraying with antifungal has not helped. Is there a way to save them. SInce they are two of my favorite plans, I'd love to save them. If they can't be saved, so be it. Please tell me what to do so I can save the healthy plants that remain and learn how to prevent recurrence of this disease. Thank you!

Pike County Arkansas

Did you spray with any chemicals recently? It is unusual to have the same symptoms on two totally separate plants. Late in the season we finally got hot and dry, and if people did not water, plants did begin to show signs of stress. Peonies often decline early and look pretty sad as they begin to go dormant. Clean up the spent foliage and remove it from the garden now. Watch the plants as they emerge in the spring, and if you have new symptoms then, take a sample to your local extension office and they can send to the disease lab. I would not spray any more now. Good sanitation in the fall can help your garden start clean in the spring.