Canadian Thistle Control Options in Hay Land

I have Canadian Thistle established along a coulee in a hay field that has grass, alfalfa, and sweet clover. I need to treat about 15 - 20 acres and I'm wondering if there are other options besides spot spraying each plant/small area. The area has been wet for several years and not cut which has allowed the thistle to get well established. I am considering spot spraying with Glyphosate this fall before it freezes and then follow up each spring and fall for the next few years.

Any other options for type of spray to use, effective boom spraying options, and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Williams County North Dakota weed issues hay production herbicides glyphosphate

I would use Milestone. This chemical will only kill the broadleaf plants as compared to roundup will kill everything. Fall is an excellent time to do this. Especially after we receive a light frost. The rate will be 5 to 7 oz. per acre.

You will probably have to make more than one application. Hopefully you are able to get into the area with a sprayer and don't have to hand spray it all. Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to email me directly at jackie.buckley@ndsu.edu or cal 701.667.3340.