adding acid to salsa

Do I have to add an additional acid to canned salsa? My recipe is roasted tomatoes, roasted jalapenos, onions, cilantro and garlic salt, and I don't like the flavor of vinegar or lemon juice in it.

Marion County Oregon food safety home food preservation

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your important question. Yes, salsa must have acid (vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice) added to it to make it safe for canning. If acid is not added, there would be a potential for botulism to grow since the ingredients are mostly all low-acid foods. You may find some great canned salsa recipes in our "Salsa Recipes for Canning" publication available at:
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/sites/default/files/documents/pnw_395_salsarecipesforcanning.pd...

If you do not like the acid in the salsa, you may freeze it or eat it fresh.

Thanks for contacting Ask an Expert. Oregon State University Extension Service also has a Food Safety and Preservation toll-free Hotline available July 14 – October 17 (Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.). Please feel free to call 1-800-354-7319 with any food safety or food preservation questions.