Here is another picture of a plant I found in a wooded area. You said it...

Here is another picture of a plant I found in a wooded area. You said it might be a wild pear. Is it edible? If so, what would be the best way to plant some of my own? The picture shows a branch next to an 8 inch ruler.

Montgomery County Maryland plant identification wild pear

This looks like a pear that is "wild" and would not be poisonous, but it also would not be any good for eating. Pear trees do not naturally grow in Maryland. There are no native pear species. They are all of foreign origin.

Ornamental Bradford pears (or similar varieties of Callery pears), which were originally supposed to be bred to be sterile because Callery pears are so invasive, have managed to escape cultivation and are now one of the leading invasive species in Maryland. We do not recommend trying to grow or propagate any of these pears.

If you want to grow a pear tree, purchase a variety of a named domesticated pear from a catalog such as Stark or from a nursery. There is a list of recommended varieties in our publication on tree fruits: http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG69_Getting_Started...