Hail damage to my hosta garden,alpine climate zone 3 to 5 climate recently....

Hail damage to my hosta garden,alpine climate zone 3 to 5 climate recently. Should I cut most of the shredded leave off, even if its to most of the plant? No hard freezes yet. thank you.

El Dorado County California

I'd say it depends upon how much of the plant is damaged. If not that much is damaged, you can get away with trimmin off damaged leaves - the plan uses photosynthetic products to store up energy which it will use over the winter and in the spring for recrudescence - so the more leaves it can retain, the ahppier it will be , however if the leaves are extensively damaged, the plant will spend energy to attempt repairs and they should be removed - its a judgement call based on the extend of damage - without pictures, it would have to be your call as to whether the leaves are doing mor harm than good at this point.