Repair of 1890 limestone foundation

My house has a limestone foundation that has mortar that isn't there or is the consistency of sand. On the inside of the foundation where it is the worst, the previous owner has put a lot of something white. It looks like the cement or putty so at least I can't see holes for the rodents to come in. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Howard County Iowa building construction

What a treasure to have such a historical home. My suggestion is to find a local contractor who specializes in such projects. You will also want to get more than one opinion/estimate. There are some businesses out there that specialize in fixing basement walls that are bowing or caving in and making them water tight. There are also other businesses that specialize in jacking up a house, taking out the basement walls and pouring new foundations and walls. You need to think about what your goal is before you start your search...is the goal to preserve the original stone basement or is the goal to make the basement sound and tight and able to support the home. That will help you decide in which business has the services you need to accomplish those goals. Good luck.