How do I get rid of groundhogs living under the front concrete porch of my...

How do I get rid of groundhogs living under the front concrete porch of my home. We live on 4 1/2 acres with farmland across the road and other 4 1/2 and 9 acre lots all around us.

Warren County Ohio

For starters, you can trap them with a "have a heart" live trap, but realize that it is illegal to move them to a new location to prevent the spread of diseases. If you don't move them off your property, they will return so to solve the problem, they may need to be euthanized. If you don't want to tackle that, there are wildlife control companies that will trap them for you for a fee. There are no legal poisons to use on them, particularly considering that other domestic animals can easily access the product. Trapping and removal is your best option.

Long term, you need to change the environment that allows them under the porch. If it is wide open, then fencing may be needed. If they are digging under concrete slabs, then stone instead of dirt may keep them out. Basically, you need to make that area much less convenient for them to live, but first you need to get rid of this batch of groundhogs.

Greg Meyer