I have just bought a piece of land that the former owner did a lot of cutting...

I have just bought a piece of land that the former owner did a lot of cutting of firewood where I want to plant tomatoes next year. What must I do to get this ready for them. I have raked/brushed most of the sawdust away.

Ramsey County Minnesota

Thank you for the question. The sawdust you have removed can be fully composted away from the area you plan to plant in next year and when it's fully broken down it will be an excellent amendment for your tomatoes. It's good that you removed it because the sawdust creates a high carbon to nitrogen ratio and not much of the soil nitrogen would be available for your tomatoes. We recommend getting a soil test this fall and amending your soil according to the results, then in the spring you can plant your tomatoes. Here is a link to the University of Minnesota Soil Testing Lab that teaches you how to collect a sample, and where you can send it. It does cost a small amount but will be worth it for the best results next year. http://soiltest.cfans.umn.edu/