Hello, I have a horse pasture with an automatic cement trough in it, holding...

Hello, I have a horse pasture with an automatic cement trough in it, holding about 30-40 gallons, and the algae growth is incredibly fast. The troughs stay on the sun and there is no way to build a cover for it in the near future. I would like to know what is the best alternative to keep it clean, since I don't like to trow all the water out with buckets every week when I have to clean it, specially now that we are on a drought. I can't use those fixed water filters that stay in the bottom, because they move around as the water fills automatically. And I can't put any products in the water, since, again, it fills it self over time and the product would be gone with the drinking. Is there something I can scrub the tank with and let in on the sun for a day, I don't know, so that I can forget about the algae attack for some months? Thank you, May

Santa Barbara County California horses water algae growth

Actually, goldfish, koi or catfish are often used in tanks to help prevent algae from growing.You will still need to make sure the water does not stagnate. You can definitely scrub with bleach to prevent build up. Some people even add a capful of bleach, but I know I would not want to drink bleach water so I do not recommend that. Cleaning with and/or adding apple cider vinegar is also another method that will prevent some algae growth. People use 1 1/2 cups of vinegar/100 gallons of water. Hope this helps!