I have patches of light green grass (not crabgrass) in one area of my lawn....

I have patches of light green grass (not crabgrass) in one area of my lawn. It has fine leaves like bluegrass. It also has an odor similar to mildew. Could this be perennial ryegrass? Thank you, John Liska

Dakota County Minnesota turfgrass

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to know what type of grass is growing in your lawn. Bluegrass is typically medium to dark green and I have never heard that it smells of mildew. A photo, both of the lighter patch up close and farther away to compare it to your other grass might be helpful. Here is a link to cool season turf grass types and their photos. Maybe you can compare the photos to your lawn and identify what is growing. One possibility is that you have fescue growing. There are different varieties of it and all are very fine with slight variations in color, sometimes lighter to medium green or even blue grayish.