wild pear

Are there Pyrus pyraster specimens found in Linn Co.? I believe I have found one of great age here in Albany. It may be an old specimen of the Seckle pear. It has the small fruits, thorns, and the round, small leaves of the pyraster, and is growing among a riparian grove of Oregon Ash. I would be glad to show someone the tree, if this is of interest.

Linn County Oregon plant identification riparian horticulture

I'm not sure if there has been an extensive survey done in Linn County.
Are you aware of the National Clonal Germplasm Repository outside Corvallis that specializes in Pyrus among other genera? They may be able to answer your question more specifically. Another place to check is the Oregon State University Herbarium. They maintain records of plants found across the state.

Good luck and thanks for using Ask An Expert!

Thank you for your reply, Brooke. I have since been in contact with Joseph Postman, and sent him photos of the specimen. He has been very informative.
Your Herbarium link was not as useful, since it appears that their main interest is in native plants, and I couldn't figure out who I should contact that would have some interest in this specimen, since it is a non-native plant.
Is there another, broader horticultural-botanical group at OSU that might be interested in this specimen?
Thanks again for your help.

Bill

I don't know of a specific group in the area. If Joseph Postman didn't have any suggestions, then I would suggest sending a general request in to either the herbarium staff or the Department of Botany & Plant Pathology staff. They would know faculty member's specific research interests and could forward on your request.
Thanks for using Ask An Expert!