can grandparents get help paying of the daycare costs of a grandchild they are raising?

Asked August 15, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT

We are the grandparents of 30 months-old grandson whom we are raising. His mother collects social security disability(psychiatric disorders), wic, and tanf, but we are raising him on our own. The daycare bills are bankrupting us, are there any resources available to help with this expense? Thank you.

Harris County Texas

1 Response

Thank you for your question. In the State of Texas, you can self-screen for programs to which you're entitled (and as a primary caregiver for your grandchild you are entitled to many). Go to

However, since you state that the child's mother is currently receiving a lot of these benefits, it may affect your eligibility. Therefore, I recommend you contact the Texas Legal Services Center and ask for some guidance as to how to get access to these services. Go to or call 1.866.979.4343