I need to establish a new lawn in my backyard. Recently we had several trees...

I need to establish a new lawn in my backyard. Recently we had several trees and a hedge removed (which destroyed the poor lawn we had.) Now my yard is a sunny spot and I would like to plant zoysia grass. It states in your publication that the best time to plant zoysia plugs is in May. Should I plant plugs now or wait till May? If I wait should I plant a cool grass now?

Anne Arundel County Maryland lawns and turf renovation

If you want to plug zoysia, you should wait until May.
That said, are you planning to do your whole lawn or just your bare spots, and what is the kind of grass is your remaining lawn?
As you may know, zoysia and turf-type tall fescue (which is what is the recommended lawn grass for Maryland) are very different from each other, and don't look or do well when mixed together, so you need to choose what you want your entire yard to be.
If you knew this already and were mentioning the cool grass as an erosion control for the winter, that is fine. You will just need to kill it back with a non-selective herbicide (containing the active ingredient glyphosate) before plugging your zoysia.