Dear Lynda, I'm the one with the crystalized sap and dying branches on the...

Dear Lynda, I'm the one with the crystalized sap and dying branches on the plum tree. Some websites suggest pesticide treatments for the peach borers, if that's what I've got. Would you suggest I go ahead and treat, or should I take this in to the extension office and pay for a diagnosis to be absolutely sure? I can't find anything else online that appears to be the disease that I've got here. The only hesitancy is that so far I haven't seen the adult moths, and the sap is coming out fairly high up on the tree, not at the base. Thanks for you continued help! Amy

Ramsey County Minnesota borers plum diseases

Lynda is currently not available to answer your question. You could consider consulting with a certified arborist. They would be able to look at your tree, help with diagnosis and coming up with a plan for your tree. This could also be helpful if there is more than one problem with your tree. As you mention, you could also send a sample to be analyzed. This would help confirm if a plant disease were causing the wilt. See link for process of submitting a sample. http://pdc.umn.edu/Howtosubmitasample/index.htm