Wildfire Black Gum 5 inches around

I am getting a Wildfire Black Gum tree that is 5 inches around from Georgia and I live in Northwest Ohio I would like to know what the survival percentage would be coming from Georgia to Ohio ? Since they they have a tip root, an is it to large? It is coming from a Nursery that grows tree for a business. An ship trees up here to Retail Nurseries.

When is the best time to plant this tree in the Fall or Spring time? What months?

What is your feeling about this?
I will have it spaded in since kit would be a very large tree. What I am worried about is the tip root.

Thank-You

John Wilhelm
Ohio 43567

Fulton County Ohio trees and shrubs planting transplanting acid soil planting trees black gum tree source provenance great fall color blackgum nyssa tap root taproot oxygen marchapril horticulture

The best time to plant it would be March-April.

It is better to acquire a tree from the north rather than the south, but it will probably survive, since it's a Zone 4 plant.

Make sure it has a moist, well-drained, acidic (low pH) soil, plus full sun to bring out the great fall color.

Most trees lose their taproot after a few years, forming a more horizontal, shallow root system since the roots require oxygen. Don't plant it too deep.