goji berry production

I ordered goji berry cuttings and planted, them this spring. They have grown well and are flowering abundantly, but not one fruit has set out of hundreds of blooms. Do you have any suggestions as to the cause and maybe a solution to my problem?
thanks, Wade Moore

Hamilton County Texas

Hi Wade,

Unfortunately this is a relatively new and obscure crop in Texas that we have not had much experience with, therefore it would be difficult to give you a definitive answer. However, when trying to figure out why a fruiting plant will not set fruit even with an abundance of flowers the first thing I would suspect would be some kind of self-incompatibility. From what I understand, though Goji Berry does not appear to need another variety for pollination. Another possibility might be that the plant is not yet mature enough to set and sustain a fruit crop. This may seem strange, given the prolific crop of flowers produced, but some fruits such as Mango and Avocado may fail to set or hang on to a crop of fruit until they get a little older. The high temperatures might also be a factor in your lack of fruit set, as pollen viability is significantly reduced in the presence of high temperatures.

My advice would be to just be patient and give the plants another year or so, and see if they won't start doing something.

I hope this helps,

Tim Hartmann