Hops Anonymous

I bought a house, and have been taming the overgrown back yard. Hops are growing up the bamboo - and recently tipped a couple stalks over. I have plans for next year to wire it up to the back fence, but right now: a) what sort of hop is this? my brewing friends keep asking what variety. b) should I be trying to prop the bamboo back up til harvest c) how long til harvest? Thanks for any assistance!

Multnomah County Oregon hops production horticulture

Hi there,

Hip Hop Anonymous? :) I have a lot of brewing friends as well and I hear questions about hop identification all the time. Unfortunately, if you are unsure what type was planted, it is very difficult to identify hop varieties from the vine. So unless you have a brewer friend with a very distinguished palate for hops, you might be out of luck.

Hops are very vigorous climbers so it would be good to give them as much support as you can. For this year - they are almost ready to harvest so they might be ok. But next year be sure to provide them a strong structure to climb up. Hops are usually harvested around the third week of August and early September.

Here is some hop information for next year: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/brew-your-own-beer-why-not-grow-your-own-hops-too

Have fun and happy brewing!